STOP!!! Hang up the phone. There is no need to order chinese take-out when you can make it yourself, in the amount of time it takes for delivery. Tonight’s dinner is a spicy, crispy treat! Some of the ingredients may seem useless but they are essential in any Asian dish you could imagine making. These General Tso’s Shrimp are DELICIOUS!!!!!
General Tso’s Shrimp
You will need:
1-1 ½ lb of jumbo shrimp (peeled, deveined, tail on)
2 eggs (beaten)
½ cup cornstarch
1 T soy sauce
About 1/3 cup vegetable oil, for frying
2 T minced garlic
2 T minced ginger
½ cup chicken stock (or water) ——- You won’t notice the difference
3 T hoisin sauce (can be found in the Asian section of your local market)
2 T soy sauce
2 tsp chili paste (Sambal Oelek)
3 tsp sesame oil
5 T sugar
2 T cornstarch
8 dried red chiles (optional)
3 scallions (sliced on a bias)
- Pat shrimp dry and add the soy sauce to the beaten eggs. Using one hand for egg wash and the other for cornstarch, lightly dredge the shrimp (egg wash first).
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in saute pan. Fry shrimp until they are golden brown and crispy! Set to the side.
- Discard majority of oil (Leave a coating in pan), add minced garlic and ginger, saute for a minute. Add shrimp, toss for about 30 seconds.
- Add sauce and alllow it to thicken, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over white rice, garnish and ENJOY!!!