This is a perfect midweek quick and flavorful recipe. When picking peppers look for ones with flat bottoms. Many recipes will advise you to boil the peppers prior to baking them, I personally like the crunch. But if you would like softer peppers you can bring about 6 qt of water to a boil and add peppers for approximately 3-4 minutes.You can also make the rice the night before. Please allow rice to cool. You can do so by spreading on a baking sheet.
What you will need :
Yields 5 peppers
5 large bell peppers
2-3 boneless chicken breast (pounded evenly)
1 cup of cooked rice
1 medium onion (chopped)
1-2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 can of diced tomatoes
3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme (take thyme off sprigs)
1/4 cup of chopped basil
1/4 cup of chopped parsley
2 tablespoons of oregano
2 tablespoons seasoning salt
1/2 tablespoon of paprika
salt and pepper
1 pkg of mozzarella cheese (shredded)
2 tablespoons of olive oil and a separate 1 tablespoon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Cut off the tops of the peppers, and remove seed core.
2. Season chicken breast with oregano, seasoning salt, paprika, salt and pepper (your discretion).
3. Heat oil in a skillet, medium-low heat, and cook chicken for 12-14 minutes (turning once). Once cooked, set chicken aside for 5 minutes. Cut across width wise then in half.
4. In another skillet, heat the tablespoon of oil, add onions and about two tablespoons of diced tomato liquid, cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add garlic.
5. In a large bowl combine cooked rice, onion-garlic mixture, 4-5 tablespoons of diced tomatoes (add some of the liquid also), chicken, basil, parsley, thyme and about 1/4 cup of cheese. Mix well and stuff the peppers.
6. Top the peppers with mozzarella cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.